Featured: How to OCT
Comments for Auditions - Set 2
Comments, listed alphabetically by entrant. Since this was the audition phases, comments are in an abbreviated format.
Jake Summers, Adin Winters, Aaron Spinner, Thom Winder by Fairiegirl101
AriadneArca: The question of the curse is a nice little hook, and Adin and Thom's personalities came across well.
GrimNecropolis: The characters play off each other interestingly, and the writer communicates the sense of a bigger picture.
Khan: This is an ambitious entry with four characters and a whole unique fantasy world.
RobinRone: The characters each have strengths, weaknesses, and behaviors that give them individuality.
TheBuggiest: I liked that there was friction between some of the characters, and some of them were fairly interesting.
AriadneArca: Jake and Aaron seem surplus at the moment. I'm not interested in them as I am the others, and I think the writer will find it very difficult to find the time to build each of her characters up as well
TBOS R1 - SE Challenge Prompts
SPECTATOR CHALLENGES - ROUND ONE - FAIRY TALE/MYTH
Pick an Archetype. Flip a coin. If heads, the Archetype is in its ideal form. If tails, the Archetype is in its shadow form. Write an entry as if it was a normal round, with that Archetype as your opponent OC. If you need help coming up with what an Ideal/Shadow Archetype would be like, RobinRone will be hosting a chat for brainstorming Archetype manifestations next week.
Storytelling Challenge Prompts
(1) Significant Numbers
3, 7, and 12 are often significant numbers in fairy tales and myths. Create a story where your OC must confront something in sets of 3, 7, or 12.
(2) Reinventing History
Think of a historic event from your OC's world and re-design it as though it was a myth passed down from one generation to another.
(3) A Twist on Old Favorites
Think of a favorite fairy tale or myth and re-design it with your OC as a principal character. Try to pick a
1. The Round Genre will be posted at the start of entry judging, to give contestants time to brainstorm about how they might approach that genre.
2. The first round will be seeded in the following manner: The group of accepted contestants will be divided in half into two sets. Each set will be randomized, and paired with someone in the opposite set.
3. All other rounds will be chosen purely based on the output of a random list generator.
4. Contestants may submit an incomplete entry ONCE during the course of the tournament. Any audition left without an ending (even in summary form) will be considered incomplete. An entry that is one part polished product and one part rough outline STILL COUNTS as a completed entry. Be aware that the rough part may not be as effective as your polished work, so try to update your rough portions as soon as you can, even if the deadline is past.
Frequently Asked Questions
There's so much information! Where do I start??
Scroll down to the bulleted links at the bottom of this F.A.Q. A good place to start is the Introduction Story. It's a four-page illustrated story that will familiarize you with the premise, environment, and characters of the TBOS-OCT. It's quick and easy to read, so it won't take long to get through. If you want to know more about how the tournament is run, or how it will be judged, take a look at the Rules and Judging Criteria. If you're more interested in the tools you have to work with, you may be interested in learning about the Cast, Locations, or Gifts. If you've gone through all of those things and still have nagging questions, read the rest of this F.A.Q. or contact one of the TBOS staff! We'll do our best to answer your questions quickly!
What is an O
Welcome to the TBOS-OCT Criteria Conference!
The purpose of this conference is to clarify how each Judge interprets the Judging Criteria.
The Criteria are: Characterization, Creativity, and Storytelling (Micro & Macro)
We will start out with an introduction of each Judge. Then, we will go through each of the three criteria, one at a time. Each Judge will post what that item means to them. Once everyone has posted, we will move to the next criteria.
So, to start, I am RobinRone, your Host. I've hosted one other OCT and participated in the Oberon's Garden OCT. You may also know me from the webcomic Shades of Grey or my most recent work, LeyLinesComic.com
Hello! I'm Ariadnearca, a judge here. I'm a finalist in Project Minotaur along with TheBuggiest, as well as a participant in deviantART leagues such as the IPL. I'm also talking to you fresh from completing a lovely essay! This conference should make a great change of pace. XD
I'm GrimNecropolis. I partic
Community Code of Conduct
I, by participating in the TBOS-OCT, hereby agree to:
- Respect others and remain courteous,
- Work to create a welcoming environment,
- Enable my fellow story-tellers to grow and evolve, and
- Avoid publicly speculating on the outcome of any match or round, on the grounds that it is disrespectful to the competitors.
I understand that failure to follow this code of conduct may result in my disqualification from TBOS.